Monday, March 31, 2014

Hummingbird Cake

Happy Monday! It is a beautiful Spring day today and I actually felt warm while outside which is a wonderful thing! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! My nephew turned 2 on Saturday and my brother and sister-in-law hosted a super cute Train themed birthday party! I love parties, I love to see decorations (everything was super cute and into the house she had it look like railroad tracks and naturally my train loving boy wanted me to pretend we were a train riding into the house;)), eat Cake/Cupcakes, I love to watch kids open presents! I just love it all, I love to celebrate birthdays. We are coming upon Birthday party season and I could not be more excited! July is our BIG birthday month. Before the 13th alone my husband and nephew have a birthday on the same day, my mom, 4th of July party, my dear friend's baby Grace turns 1, our sweet neighbor girl turns 2, and my baby turns 4!!! Those are just a few from July 1-13!! We are busy July people. So since cake season is upon us, I thought I would try this delicious Hummingbird cake! 


I thought I had never heard of nor tried Hummingbird Cake before until it dawned on me the other day that a local cupcake bakery had a Hummingbird cupcake that I fell in love with and every time I go back they never have it...sad...but it was no wonder this was so divine and I loved this cake so much. Beware the frosting alone is so lick able and decadent! Eat a slice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner:)!!



You put a whooping 2 cups of frosting in the middle of this cake and it is so worth it! I gave some to my dear neighbor & friend Kylynn, my dear friend Lindsey, my sister-in-law, and the ladies @ Bible Study. It was a huge hit, everyone loved it and I was almost sad I only got 2 pieces but my waistline however was not sad;)! Spring is here and this is the perfect cake for any Easter occasion. My favorite Easter Cake is a Carrot Cake but this one might have almost surpassed it, however maybe I should make my carrot cake to refresh my memory! Get our your flour, butter, Pecans, your best spring apron, a whisk and wooden spoon, no kitchen aid until you reach the frosting, and get ready to fall in love with this decadent cake!!


Hummingbird Cake
Adapted from Cook's Country

Cake:
2  8 ounce can crushed pineapple
3  cups all-purpose flour
2  teaspoons baking powder
1  teaspoon baking soda
1  teaspoon cinnamon
1  teaspoon salt
2  cups granulated sugar
3  large eggs
1  cup vegetable oil
4  large ripe bananas, peeled and mashed into 2 cups
1 1/4  cups Pecans, chopped and toasted
2  teaspoons vanilla extract (the good stuff)

Frosting:
2 1/2  sticks of butter, room temperature (20 tablespoons)
5  cups powder sugar
2 1/2  teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2  teaspoon salt
2 1/2  sticks of Cream Cheese, cold and cut into pieces (20 ounces)
3/4  cup pecans, toasted and chopped


Cake:
Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease & flour 2 9-inch cake pans lined with parchment paper. Drain pineapple in a fine mesh strainer set over bowl, pressing to remove juice. Pour juice into a small saucepan and cook over medium heat till reduced to 1/3 cup, about 10 minutes (it can vary depending what kind of stove-top you have, I have electric), set aside.

Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together in a bowl. Whisk sugar and eggs together in a separate large bowl; whisk in oil. Stir in bananas, pecans, vanilla, drained pineapple, and reduced pineapple juice. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. 
Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake until dark golden brown on top 45-55 minutes. or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cakes cool in pans on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Remove cakes and discard parchment paper and let cool completely.

Frosting:
With your stand mixer or hand mixer, use your paddle attachment and beat butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt together on low speed until smooth, continue mixing for 2 minutes and scrap down the sides of the owl as needed, increase to medium-low, add cream cheese one piece at a time, and mix until smooth; continue to mix for 2 minutes.

Place one cake layer on platter. Spread 2 cups of frosting evenly over the top. Top with second cake. Spread the rest of the frosting all over the cake and top with chopped Pecans and put some on the bottom for an extra pretty factor!

Place in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. Can be left in the fridge for up to 2 days.

Get Baking & Enjoy!

Gillian
Ms. Marquet's Kitchen






No comments:

Post a Comment