Sunday, March 16, 2014

Fresh Strawberry Pie

 Fresh Strawberry Pie
Ms Marquets Kitchen

Growing up there was this delicious restaurant called the Hungry Goose open for lunch M-F that was very close to our school. My mother would sometimes bring us an amazing piece of pie when we were done with school! When we had doctors appointments she always ended up taking us there. It was such a treat, the rolls and pies were handmade daily by two amazing ladies! The Banana Cream was heaven! I actually ended up working there and boy was that a treat!!

It was extra nice and sunny here in Washington when I decided to make this pie and thought it was perfect for the beautiful weather! But currently it is back to rain. Joannie's Fresh Strawberry Pie was one she would make every June when Spooners (the local Berry farm) first started picking the first berries! It would sell out so fast, if you did not get there right on time, by 11:30 it might be gone! Since her pies are no longer there I have been wanting to figure out how to make that pie. I tried Jello recipes I saw and nothing measured until I came upon this bad boy! I ate one piece and then another and since we had company I did not want to appear like a pig, and wanted to make sure others got more as well. Plus my Dad could not make it and I knew I needed to leave a piece for him;)
 So onto the recipe...I am a visual person so you will see a lot of pictures, to help you while you cook. However, I have just starting to take pictures while I bake, so I missed a few things. Now, grab your favorite pie crust recipe, store bought, or the one I will give you below (you will need to blind bake it). My mother always made a wonderful flaky pie crust growing up and I made her crust for years until I came upon the Pioneer Woman's pie crust. My mom has currently switched over to hers as well!

 First start out with 7 cups of  Good Quality Frozen Strawberries. I freeze pounds of my garden berries and also the local farm berries each summer, that way I have delicious berries ready in my freezer all year round! Then cook over medium low heat for 3 minutes to release juices.


 Cook for an additional 25-35 minutes over medium-high heat until the mixture measures 2 cups. I would take it out at the 25 minute mark and measure.


 I highly recommend cooking in a big pot. As you see my hand above, the first time I cooked this in a much smaller pot the constant stirring and random splatter left me with two very pretty burn marks, maybe not so pretty! But since I already have a burn scar on that hand from my babysitter growing up I thought well at least it will be another story haha.


 So, say you have cooked for almost 35 minutes and you still have a few tablespoons extra just save it for yourself and if you happen to have a Shortbread girl Scout cookie you can dip that into, do it! Its delicious! Or even better extra pie dough from your baked pie crust.

 Once your mixture is 2 cups pour it into a separate bowl and let cool for 30 minutes. 
 While cooling, thinly slice up 3 cups of fresh strawberries. Then after the 30 minutes, fold the fresh berries into the gelatin mixture. Summertime is the best, when you can use fresh garden berries, this will be even better!
 Once your pie crust is completely cool and your strawberry mixture is cool. Pour into the pie crust and then refrigerator for 4 hours or up to 24.
When ready to eat serve with a delicious cream cheese whipped cream and Enjoy:)!!

Fresh Strawberry Pie

Pie Dough:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/
3 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup butter
5 tablespoons cold water
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 egg, lightly beaten

Combine flour and salt in a bowl. Add in slice Shortening and sliced up butter. Mix with a pastry cutter until you have a crumbly mixture. Add water, vinegar, egg and mix together with a wooden spoon. Divide in half and put in quart Ziploc bags. Beat down with you hand or rolling pin and refrigerate for 20 minutes or until you need them! 

Preheat oven to 425. Roll out crust and place in pie dish. Refrigerate for 15 minutes and then either use pie weights or you can do parchment paper and beans for the blind bake. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove pie weights/beans and bake for an additional 8-12 minutes until golden brown.
Let cool.

Filling and Topping:
Adapted by Ms. Marquet's Kitchen from Cook's Illustrated

7 cups Frozen Strawberries
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
pinch of salt
3 cups of fresh thinly sliced Strawberries
4 ounces of cream cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream

Cook Frozen strawberries in a large saucepan over medium low heat for 2 minutes into the berries start to extract some juice. Turn heat to medium high and cook for 25-35 minutes, stirring frequently. You will need to make sure the mixture measures 2 cups. 

Combine lemon juice, water, and gelatin in a small bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir 1 cup of sugar, pinch of salt, and gelatin mixture into the strawberry mixture and let simmer for 2 minutes. Pour into a separate bowl and let cool for 30 minutes.

While cooling slice up your fresh Strawberries.

Fold freshly sliced strawberries into cooled pie crust and cover. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

When ready to serve combine cream cheese, vanilla, and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Mix until smooth. Add heavy cream and whip until peaks form. 
Serve each slice with a lovely helping of this fabulous whipped cream.
Enjoy!



1 comment: