Thursday, September 18, 2014

Friday Night Lights, Farmers Markets, and a Family Friendly Meal



We are having yet another exceptional summer in Washington State! While part of me is ready for all things fall I still love this burst of heat we are receiving! We went to the local farmers market this weekend and I purchased the above beautiful flowers! Sunflowers are my absolute favorite!!!! Mixed with some beautiful Dahlias and it brings a smile every time I see them. They were also the flowers I had in my wedding. I just love farmers markets, all the fresh produce, flowers, baked goods, homemade items, and fresh homemade PASTA!!! Let me tell you the homemade pasta and ravioli is AMAZING!!! One of the main reasons I wanted to go down, maybe it is from my childhood memories of my mom making homemade pasta and/or just how amazing it tastes! Needless to say I purchased some chipotle pepper pasta(so good) and some wonderful ravioli flavors including a butternut squash and asiago one that is out of this world good!! I also found this Rosemary scone that was so moist, so buttery...perfection!! Then I went home and ran 7 miles because all those carbs require you to run a lot to work them off. Carbs are amazing...how come my metabolism cant function like it did when I was 16?!? 



Our neighbors invited us to the local High school Football game Friday night and it just so happens they were playing my Alumni School, our nephew's are on the team, and my cousins son (who is a stud running back) are on the team! Our nephew cleared the way blocking the lineman as my cousins son was able to run it in for the touchdown! My Alumni won the game and my cousins son even had an article about him in the paper, "Terhune is so good, he is bad..." :) :)!!  It was a gorgeous night for a football game!!


There is something about a high school football game that I never noticed as a high school student. My perspective has changed a bit, seeing the excitement of my son with all the kids around, he so desperately wanted to sit by the big kids, Hayden and his friends:) Seeing the kids running around on the sides of the field having fun, and the parents not needing to worry, the interaction between the girls and the boys, the adults who come just to watch because they love football and the parents & grandparents cheering the kids on! The band and the young girls who want to cheer just like the high school cheerleaders! It was a fun night and I look forward to more Friday Night Lights! 


My sweet boy had to have his head in the photo;) When Blake was a little over 2 years of age he decided he no longer wanted to eat most things I made, lasagna he would gobble up, no thanks mama! It was a bitter battle until he recently turned 4 and his appetite is BACK!! Eating most things I make and has been trying new things! This meal gets his tummy nice and full, he eats it up with no fight and it has chicken(which used to be a big battle) in it!! Let me tell you as a lady who loves to cook for my family it has been a huge breath of fresh air! I honestly thought that there would be no hope for me, but to any moms who are struggling with a picky eater, it gets better and I hope it keeps getting better:)! This dish is super simple, you toss the chicken in the crock pot in the morning and then cook the rice in the evening. You can make these as simple or add as much to them as you like!


Cafe Rio Chicken Rice Bowls:

8 oz Italian Dressing (around half the bottle)
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon chili powder
4 frozen chicken breasts

1.Mix cumin, chili powder, and dressing in a bowl.
2. Place frozen chicken breasts in crock-pot.
3. Pour dressing mixture over chicken.
4. Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 7 to 8. (i find I always shred mine around the 7 hour) Shred chicken in the crock-pot and mix well.

2 cups cooked brown rice(or the grain your family loves best)
2-3 ears of corn cooked (if corn is not in season you could either cook up some canned corn or frozen)
Shredded Cheddar or Pepper Jack Cheese
Ranch Dressing
Optional Ingredients:
Shredded Kale or Lettuce
Black Beans
tomatoes
Jalapenos

Assemble:
For my little one I do rice, chicken, corn, cheddar cheese, and a little bit of ranch mix it all together and he is a happy eater!!
Mix it all up to your desire and enjoy!!

I always have extra chicken so I freeze it in Ziploc containers, usually 1 cup in each Ziploc. That way on nights when I am making something I know my son will not eat and I take this out of the freezer and make his own rice bowl! Its perfect or you can toss it on a salad for a healthy lunch one day!!

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Yum! This looks amazingly delicious! This is going on my "must try" recipe list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete