Monday, April 14, 2014

Healthy Freezer Waffles

It is beautiful here in Washington, I actually felt warmth outside, like I could wear a t-shirt and still be warm weather! It is WONDERFUL!!  Last week we left on Thursday to drive over to WSU to visit my sister for mom's weekend, it was so much fun! I love going over to visit her and create those special memories.


My sweet and extremely hilarious boy is really coming into his own personality! He is pretty funny and loves to make himself and others laugh! In honor of Master's weekend we sported the golf shirt and I could not be more excited that Bubba Watson won it again!!! On the right is my sister Carmen and her boyfriend Andy at the WSU baseball game:)!

While I had ever intention on posting this before I left it did not happen so here it is today;) It was a busy week preparing and baking to be gone for 4 days and there is nothing better to have on hand on a busy week then a quick and easy healthy breakfast for your kiddos. Breakfast is big to me, its should not be skipped, its the most important meal of the day. Sometimes we moms don't have time for it, I never leave the house at least without having a piece of Toast and Peanut Butter, it is my go to, my favorite besides Oatmeal. So anyway back to the Waffles... 

I was using these waffles  for the longest time for my son and they are great! He loved them and I trusted all the ingredients in them. But I still wanted to be able to have some that I made for him and he still loved that I could grab from the freezer. A while back I had seen a recipe for healthy waffles and I kept it in the back of my mind, always saying just do it and being too lazy to do it. Well I did it one day and am so glad I did! Its super easy, saves money, and you can trust your child is getting a nutritious waffle on the go.  Over at Our Best Bites I found these Healthy Whole Grain Waffles that were exactly what I wanted. I made one small minor change. I add Pear Juice, just gives them an added sweetness and I think lighter texture. When looking at the back of the box on the waffles above they added Pear/Grape juice. You could do either one or none at all. We do not drink Juice in our home, so I bought some Organic Juice boxes and I aways double the waffle mix so I don't feel like I am wasting the entire box;)

Here is what you will need: Whole Wheat Flour, Flaxseed, Wheat Germ, Baking Powder, Sugar, Milk, Juice(if desired), Canola Oil, Egg, & Vanilla



Mix all the dry ingredients together: 1 1/2 Cups of Whole Wheat Flour, 1/4 cup Wheat Germ, 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt.



Next your wet ingredients: So you can either do all milk of 1 1/2 cups of 1 1/4 cups milk plus 2 tablespoons and 2 tablespoons pear/grape juice, 1/3 cup canola oil, 1 Egg, 1 teaspoon Vanilla.


Mix wet ingredients into dry just until they come together, do not over mix. Pour into your heated waffle iron and cook. I don't like to cook mine too dark just because when I go to toast them they will get a little more cooking time then as well.


Lay to cool on a wire rack right after you remove them from the waffle maker. you do not want to set them on a plate or the bottoms will get soggy.  One recipe will give you about 6 waffles, I can not remember how many my son ate when I made these but I think it was almost 2 1/2! He LOVES them! 



I place them on a cookie sheet and stick them in the freezer till frozen.


Place in frozen bag and use on your busy mornings or the mornings were you want no dishes:) 



How do you like to eat your waffles? Butter and Warm Maple Syrup?!? Just Butter?!? We eat ours with a nice helping of Peanut Butter and Strawberries, its our favorite. 


Healthy Whole Grain Waffles
Our Best Bites

1 1/2 cups 100% whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups nonfat milk 
1/3 cup canola oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
Whisk together flour, wheat germ, flaxseed meal, baking powder, sugar, and salt.  In a separate bowl mix together milk, oil, egg, vanilla, and oil and whisk until combined.  Add wet ingredients to dry and whisk until just mixed together, don’t over-mix.
Pour into your waffle iron and cook until golden. Serve warm or freeze for those busy mornings!
Freezer Instructions:  Lay waffles in a single layer on a baking dish in the freezer for a few hours.  When frozen, place in a ziplock bag or freezer container.  Reheat in toaster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment