Thursday, October 30, 2014

Chunky Honeycrisp Crockpot Apple Sauce


I love applesauce, for me it is a comfort food, Applesauce is one of those foods that reminds me of home and my Dad. It wasn't till after high school that I started to get pretty particular about the kind of applesauce I liked. We discovered this amazing Fiji chunky applesauce at a specialty grocery store and it completely changed my perspective on applesauce! Then I saw Honeycrisp applesauce, in my opinion the best apple for applesauce! I go all out during apple season, an apple a day keeps the doctor away...right?!? Apple's Plain, Apple Pie, Apple Pastries, Apple Cake, Applesauce...YUM!



Every October my son and I go to Pullman to visit my little sister at her college WSU. There is a local farmers market in Moscow, ID and I get a big box of organic Honeycrisp Apples! We have so much fun heading over to see Auntie and getting the apples is just an extra bonus that makes the applesauce extra special!! 

Let's also talk about Cinnamon for a second. I believe that quality cinnamon tastes better and smells better. I have a jar of Costco's Cinnamon that smells good and then I have Red Ape Cinnamon that smells amazing and brings a extra punch of cinnamon. Its worth the price and Amazon has it for subscribe and save members. 


Chunky-Honeycrisp crockpot Applesauce 
Ms. Marquet's Kitchen

8-10 apples peeled and sliced
Juice of halve a lemon
1/2 cup water
1/2-1 cup of sugar (I use 1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Grated fresh nutmeg

Place all your sliced apples in the crockpot. Mix the water and juice from half a lemon together and pour over apples. Pour sugar, cinnamon, fresh grated nutmeg to taste over apples and mix together.
Set the crockpot on low for 5 - 7 1/2 hours. I have two different crockpots, one takes 5 1/2 and the other the full 7 1/2.

Mix it together and mash it up as chunky or smooth as you like! Enjoy over ice cream, plain, on Oatmeal, or like me in your cottage cheese(weird maybe, it's a family thing). You can also can it if it lasts that long.


No comments:

Post a Comment